WHAT’S THE FIFA 11+?
How can you use the FIFA 11+ on your own?
- Running exercises – 8 minutes. Very straightforward.
- Strength, plyometrics and balance exercises – 10 minutes. It requires a bit of trial and error to determine your current physical level (1, 2 or 3). You can be at a different level for the same exercise as long as the exercise is challenging enough. Tip: a challenging exercise is one where you’re unable to carry a conversation with someone!
- Running exercises – 2 minutes. This is the activation phase which concludes the FIFA 11+ warm up.
This is cool, but how do we adapt this to be rugby specific?
- Exercise 4 can be replaced with grapevine, karaoke and lateral running in groups of two (mirroring each other).
- Exercise 5 can be modified to represent contact more accurately in the realm of rugby. Add in scrum type exercises (1 v 1, 2 v 2).
- Exercise 7 can be modified to include the copenhagen adduction exercise. If you have ever tried this, you would know how taxing this is on your hips!
- Exercise 10 should be performed in the last iteration of this series. The contact element and dynamic stability is paramount in rugby.
- Exercise 13 is modified to start the sprint lying on your front (or belly). Players should sprint across the pitch from the ground. This is to mimic the need of rising to your feet after a tackle on the pitch.